On 12/09/11 13:20, Jason White wrote:
> Peter Ross<Peter.Ross(a)bogen.in-berlin.de> wrote:
>
>> Every snapshot is like a filesystem, with its own metadata and data.
>>
>> They only "interfere" because they may point to the same (unchanged)
>> data. But there is no backtracking or reconstruction from one
>> snapshot to the other.
>
> My understanding is that this is also true of Btrfs snapshots. It should be
> noted that most of the metadata are not copied when a snapshot is created,
> judigng by the speed of this operation.
>
> Regarding ZFS, it is my impression that all of the people who understand the
> internals of the file system and its implementation are Sun/Solaris
> developers, some of whom may have left after the acquisition by Oracle. I
> don't know what situation this creates as to the availability of expertise (at
> the level of understanding the code well enough to debug it) for projects
> porting it to BSD and Linux.
>
> Btrfs does appear to be gaining contributions from a variety of sources,
> prominently Red Hat, so the expertise isn't concentrated in the hands of any
> single corporation.
Last time I checked, Btrfs had sucky performance, especially for
PostgreSQL loads. (Even with the "nodatacow" option enabled)
How does the DKIM-based ZFS look?
Otherwise I'm curious enough that I'll run up a test myself.
Cheers,
Toby