a friend of mine is running a Joomla based website
The first page renders fine on Windows and Apple devices
but has a full page of spam gibberish <a href>'s to the most wanted items
if I believe in spam) before the header menu starts (so I have to scroll
down to see any useful content)
I tried on two Ubuntu machines running Ubuntu 12.04, and tried Chrome and
Firefox, always with the rubbish in it.
Stranger, it does not even appear in the page source if I look at it using
Windows or Apple machines.
I did not look at the server yet (and my friend isn't an IT expert) but I
find it that weired that I don't have a slightest idea what the cause
Thanks for answers
I want my regular eth0 interface to have an MTU of 1500, and have eth0.12 with an MTU of 9000, but Linux seems to want to keep the MTU consistent across all VLAN interfaces.
Has anyone done this before? I don't know if it's a limitation of my Ethernet hardware or of Linux. In theory, as long as Linux only transmits <=1500 byte packets it shouldn't matter what the underlying hardware is set to, so I don't know why this restriction exists.
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Allan Duncan <amd2345(a)fastmail.com.au> wrote:
> My wife complained to me about www.royalshow.com.au "not working".
> She was quite right - it is running like a dog with firefox 15.0.1 on
> Xorg. A little digging shows that whenever it is being displayed on the
> screen Xorg saturates the CPU core it is on. Click on another browser
A web site doesn't make Xorg use more CPU time. A browser may decide to do
things that trigger excessive Xorg CPU use, some of that may be due to
limitations in hardware (IE having a video device with limited capabilities
which forces more things to be done in software) but probably most of that
will be due to the application.
Viewing that site in Chromium on my E4600 system with a ATI Cedar PRO [Radeon
HD 5450] PCIe video card didn't cause any noticable increase in CPU use.
Presumably that's mainly because Chromium is better than Firefox, but the CPU
and video card I'm using may have something to do with it.
There have been times in the past where I routinely had multiple web browsers
installed so I could try a few until I got one that worked with a site. But
nowadays Chromium just works for me.
Chromium is rather memory hungry, but as systems with 3G of RAM can be
obtained as trash that's not a big problem if you restrain yourself to less
than a dozen open tabs.
My Main Blog http://etbe.coker.com.au/
My Documents Blog http://doc.coker.com.au/
Just want to double check my facts before I do something wrong here.
I discovered a computer trying to read past the end of it's disk.
attempt to access beyond end of device
sdq: rw=0, want=488022554, limit=488017920
Disk /dev/sdq: 249.8 GB, 249865175040 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30377 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000d7193
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdq1 1 30 240943+ 83 Linux
/dev/sdq2 31 30378 243770310 8e Linux LVM
My assumption is that specifying end=30378 is invalid for a disk that
only has 30377 cylinders. Have I got this correct? Another identical
computer does have end=30377, so I suspect this one got it right.
Also wondering why dmesg reports 488017920 blocks but fdisk reports
240943+243770310 block size (and on good system reports
240943+243762277 blocks) - is there a difference in block sizes here?
/dev/sdq2 is LVM, and has three partitions for root, swap, and var.
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sdq2
PV Size 232.48 GB / not usable 966.00 KB
PE Size (KByte) 4096
Total PE 59514
Free PE 50403
Allocated PE 9111
PV UUID 58fU6l-MLlo-h5Ar-n9jx-0poC-axdS-VoAmND
How do I recover the LVM partition with minimum disruption?
Maybe use of pvresize? Before or after fixing the partition size?
How can I check if that part of the disk has a LV allocated on it?
Brian May <brian(a)microcomaustralia.com.au>
I have been used to invoking Ghostscript to display my postscript
efforts on this Thinkpad running Ubuntu, but it did not do so with the
"fresh" desktop install of Debian. I have looked at the default output
device on this Thinkpad, and it is x11alpha, but that appears to not be
available with the Debian installed version of Ghostscript.
I would appreciate pointers as to enabling that, even if I have to grab
the source via this computer, then transfer via CDR and compile. The
desktop will be on the net in due course, but it is dial up access, and
I am still looking closely at being able to disable Gnome Netmanager in
such a way that I can still learn about it for when I install for
novices. It does not appear cleanly in Synaptic, but I can see parts of
it. I have been scratching my ead as to what is the "head" of the app,
where I should start, rather than a piecemeal approach. I also need to
have the head space to sort out setting up pon and poff, rather than
using wvdial as I have been. Meatspace has been of higher priority at
On 14 September Technocrat will be participating in the Drupal
Association's Drupal Global Training Days initiative. Technocrat's
experienced trainers will be providing free training for people
interested in learning about Drupal for the first time.
There are only 12 places available, so we expect to fill up fast.
Registrations are essential.
Get a solid introduction to Drupal and learn about the most essential
features and concepts of Drupal through hands-on activities. By the end
of the day you will be familiar with Drupal terminology and be able to
identify how many Drupal sites are constructed.
This course is aimed at anyone who's just starting to use Drupal as a
content editor or site builder.
If you know anyone who might be interested in this event, please feel
free to forward this message to them.
For more information visit our website or contact me directly.
PS Apologies for the cross post and if this is considered off topic, I
thought it might be of interest to people on this list.