I currently use an mcmedia email address, recently mcmedia changed hands
and it is now part of a Bendigo based group. I ___appear___ to be one of
the few using an email address based on there dial up servers and would
definitely seem to be running on borrowed time. I am at the moment trying
for various reasons to get a new ISP. What options have i got for an email
service. I at the moment use a home based mail system but if there is no
viable option a web based set up would be OK.
Although I have now been running Linux for 24 years and have a network at
home I actually know little about such things, it has always just worked
and my interest has always been much more into the Kernel and X and general
linux PC configuration.
I am looking for a Mobile broadband service provider whose service works
with Linux, I would really prefer a Prepaid plan.
I am currently with Virgin who uses the Optus network. I have tried the
service offered be Bendigo Telco, which in fact does use Optus but
strangely it I could not get it to work well. I did get it to work but it
was dead slow.
Telstra has a prepaid that appears to be better than Virgin, anyone tried
it on Linux.
I'm just setting up some Mon installations as I need monitoring but not the
complexity of Nagios.
What's the best way of monitoring the internal state of other systems from
Mon? I want to monitor things like RAID state, load average, temperature,
Should I just have a script named something like
/usr/local/bin/monitorthishost and have one of the mon services do
"ssh host monitorthishost"?
My Main Blog http://etbe.coker.com.au/
My Documents Blog http://doc.coker.com.au/
Using Ubuntu 12.04:
I have a strange situation where a usb drive was initially mounted
as /dev/sdb1 to a directory /ut. For several days data read-write to
the drive was going just fine. Then suddenly all read-write stopped,
with a Input/Output error, and while mount showed that /dev/sd1 was
still mounted on /ut.
Investigating further I found using blkid that the usb drive was now
showing as /dev/sdc1. How can this happen? I first thought, may be the
pc rebooted itself after a power failure and the drive got reassigned,
but uptime showed it has been on for 49 days since last reboot. The
problem only appeared today or yesterday.
I can mount /dev/sdc1 elsewhere and everything seem to be still there.
So somehow the usb drive got reassigned by itself. Any ideas how/why
I hope this post isn't inappropriate for the mailing list.
I have three single-board-computers that I haven't used in ages, and
wondered if anyone would like them?
All three come with a case.
I have an original CubieBoard, free to a good home!
Cortex-A8 ARM CPU, 1GB RAM, 4GB NAND flash, HDMI, MicroSD slot, USB,
I have an original Raspberry Pi, free to a good home as well!
I have a Radxa Rock:
Quad-core ARM CPU, 2GB RAM, USB, ethernet, bluetooth, WiFi, 4GB NAND flash,
microSD slot, HDMI, audio out, etc.
The Rock's the most powerful out of the set, and I'm not giving it away for
free -- but happy to sell it on pretty cheaply.
No postage, collection from Fitzroy, Victoria.
I am getting this error:
Caught non-retryable exception while listing file:///home/backups/html/:
CommandException: Invalid Unicode path encountered
sum\xe9 - Jeremy Smith.pdf'). gsutil cannot proceed with such files
present. Please remove or rename this file and try again. NOTE: the
path printed above replaces the problematic characters with a hex-
encoded printable representation. For more details (including how to
convert to a gsutil-compatible encoding) see `gsutil help encoding`.
The filename is;
499322._425050_.can._Résumé - Jeremy Smith.pdf
# convmv -r -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8 499322._425050_.can._Résumé\ -\
Skipping, already UTF-8: 499322._425050_.can._Résumé - Jeremy Smith.pdf
I am confused here - the convmv says its UTF-8 already but gsutil throws
the error. Using the convmv --nosmart flag screws up the file name.
Can anyone shed light on this? I have about 1 mil files and I don't want
to rename them one by one each time I get an error.
I currently use Thunderbird and have used Evolution in the past. I have
a wish list that I wanted to share with the aim of perhaps finding an
My criticisms with TB:
- Changing the UI
They added a archive button to some threads and this is on the right of
the preview pane tool bar. If this does not show then the delete button
is in that location (as the toolbar aligns to the right). So if you are
mas deleting email by scanning the pane then the delete button moves
each time the archive one is shown. This means that you can to move the
mouse (look / read / think) - rather than just deleting email.
- Searching for everything
It shouldn't be that difficult to have some indexes for sender, sender
domain and message prefixes. I would prefer to have a feature to have
tabs / quick lists rather than search / sort my entire mailbox each time
I wanted a type of message
Highlighting the row in colour is great.....but that only happens when
you have focus on the message - otherwise the text only is a different
colour. This means if you have a moderate use of tags then you end up
with unicorn vomit rainbow text and have to drill down on each message
to see the colour of it - which defeats the point of MAKE SURE YOU DO
THIS THING IN BOLD RED tags.
I am sure there is a (valid) comeback that there "is a plugin for that
already" or "write your own" [you flatter me :-] but I would like to
think that the core of an email client should cover off:
- Inbox filters/views/colour tags
- Consistent UI
- Tasks & Diary
...as core and not as plugins.
I get a lot of email across several accounts and perhaps I am being
picky. I am interested in hearing if others have similar / opposing
feedback and recommendations of configurations / plugins or applications
that addresses these issues.