Be sure to register or make your way down to Syntax 2013 this year.
Syntax 2013 is set to roll from SAT 9th to SUN 10th November 2013 in North Melbourne at an atmopheric and cosy venue. Twin projectors / CRT / chunky sound system and a ton of crazy old hardware.
C64, Amiga, PC and anything else goes with demonstrations etc over Sat/Sun.
More info - http://syntaxparty.org/
The website also has entries in previous years for download. - (a different Dave)
<there is no Eric conspiracy of Daves either.>
It was great to talk to you last night. :) Below is the information
about the upcoming Perl training courses that I mentioned.
1. If you are a student or open source enthusiast who is looking for a
new job, then you might be interested in know that Strategic Data and
Perl Training Australia are offering up to 8 individual scholarships for
computer science graduates to complete our 5 day Programming Perl
course, valued at $3700 per person.
This course is running 2nd - 6th December. More information:
2. If you want/need to learn Perl for your current (and ongoing) job,
you might be happy to know that Perl Training Australia is running our
very popular Programming Perl course in Melbourne on the 9th - 13th
*Book before 5pm, Friday 15th November (and mention this email to LUV)
to pay only $3200 per person! That's a $500 discount per person. *All
prices are GST inclusive, offer only applies to new bookings on this
course. No other offers apply with this special.
Bookings can be made at http://perltraining.com.au/bookings/Melbourne.html
This course covers Perl's fundamentals to give an existing programmer
sufficient knowledge of Perl to work on most projects. It assumes
features from up to Perl 5.16, but includes work-arounds for older
The first half of this course will introduce the Perl programming
language, discuss Perl's variable types, functions, operators,
conditionals and subroutines. Once you grasp Perl's basics, the second
half will build on that knowledge to cover I/O, complex data structures,
file system interaction, modules, packages and objects.
You will learn:
* how to write simple Perl scripts and run them from the command-line;
* how to use Perl's inbuilt help system, perldoc;
* how to use warnings and strict to catch common errors and enforce
good programming style;
* about Perl's three main data types and how (and when) to use them;
* about Perl's most common operators and functions;
* how to use Perl's conditional and looping constructs;
* how to write and use subroutines;
* about Perl's powerful regular expression capabilities and how to
apply them to your problem;
* how to create, dereference and use references to build complex data
structures which allow multi-dimensional arrays and hashes.
* how to write and use Perl modules and packages;
* how to use Module::Starter to start your modules off on the right foot;
* how to write tests;
* how to use Perl objects;
* how to interact with the file system to read and write files, and
* how to pass commands to the system for execution and the pitfalls
We hope to see your booking soon!
All the best,
Currently the biggest available 3.5" SATA disks are 4TB according to
Wikipedia. Has anyone seen announcements of bigger hard drives?
One of my clients has a zpool of 3TB disks that is at 79% capacity so it's
time to start thinking of adding more capacity. Upgrading from 4*3TB to 5*4TB
would be barely worth doing. But upgrading from 4*3TB to 5*5TB would more
than double the capacity and thus be a better option than buying an external
case for adding more disks.
So I'm wondering whether 5TB disks will go on sale before my client runs out
My Main Blog http://etbe.coker.com.au/
My Documents Blog http://doc.coker.com.au/
This might interest a few people, especially if they're not doing anything
on the traditional night of LUV meetings...
ATHEIST SOCIETY - 8pm Tuesday 12 November 2013 Free public lecture
followed by questions and discussion:
"The Pragmatic Limits of Scientism in the New Atheism".
Speaker - Lev Lafayette
Venue - Unitarian Hall, 110 Grey Street, East Melbourne.
Enquiries - David Miller, Secretary. Tel: 9467 2063 Email -
.. Of course, if you're intending to go to LUV as well, you'll have to put
up with my voice two days in a row!
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GCertPM, MBA
mobile: 0432 255 208
RFC 1855 Netiquette Guidelines