[luv-talk] Natural language processing was ( Re: How best to move system to SSD)

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Jun 10 17:56:35 EST 2014

Rohan McLeod <rhn at jeack.com.au> wrote:

> So would this have implications for the problem of constructing 'the
> meaning of a sentence';
> given the meaning of it's constituent words ?

Yes, exactly.

> Do you think that the search engine problem might be broken into two parts:
>
> 1/ A precise symbolic way of expressing a complex search pattern;
>
> say analogous to a 'regular expression' formula
>
> 2/  A 'short, simple sentence; natural language processing' algorithm;
>
> which then constructs sequences of such symbolic search formulas;
> equivalent to the disambiguated natural language sentence ?

How would you then associate this with search results? It wouldn't be feasible
to parse and analyze all of the text of a large collection of Web pages, so
far as I am aware.

> > Search engines use statistical techniques rather than logic-based semantics to
> > process queries.
>
> Do you see a place for neural-nets in this area ?

They're among the probabilistic techniques available for application, yes.
However, neural networks are well outside my field.