[luv-talk] Natural language processing was ( Re: How best to move system to SSD)

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Tue Jun 10 14:40:55 EST 2014

Rohan McLeod <rhn at jeack.com.au> wrote:

> I would be interested to hear about the thesis of your Ph D;
> and your ideas concerning the above problems

My research is concerned with basic questions about how to construct a
semantic theory of any given language. There are foundational disagreements in
this area concerning the limits of semantic analysis, which I seek to address
by investigating Robert Brandom's "inferentialist" theory of meaning.

I think modern formal logic and philosophy have made real progress in
analyzing and specifying the semantics of natural language. Some of this
insight has been applied to computational problems, but there is much progress
remaining to be made on both the theoretical side and in computational
applications.

Search engines use statistical techniques rather than logic-based semantics to
process queries.