expanding Europe's Linux Presentation Day to Australia

Hauke Laging hauke.laging at linux-presentation-day.org
Thu Dec 1 00:51:07 AEDT 2016

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 30. November 2016, 16:03:09 CET schrieb Russell Coker:
> On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 9:31:30 PM AEDT Hauke Laging via luv-main
wrote:
> > You can find a longer description of the concept here:
> >
> > http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/idea/
>
> http://www.softwarefreedomday.org/
>
> This sounds a lot like the Software Freedom Day that we have done in the
> past.

I don't know anything about the SFD in Australia but in Germany the SFD and
LPD are nothing alike. We had the "Why not use the SFD for this?" discussion
when planning the first LPD.

Here in Germany the SFD has collapsed to a very small event. Last year there
was only one big SFD event in this 82 mil people country. In addition there
were three small ones (inclluding Berlin). In our experience the SFD never
attracts non-Linux users. And that is not surprising considering the event
name and its agenda. It's a day for the community to celebrate itself. And
that is OK. We have choosen a different date for the autumn LPD so that the
community does not lose "their own" event.

The media do not cover the SFD (not even the big event) because hardly anyone
knows what "free software" is. Many people are familiar with the term "open
source" but if a journalist doesn't understand the headline then he doesn't
ask. It doesn't make sense to be politically correct and talk about "free
software" if the target audience doesn't understand it. "Linux" is the strong
brand. That is the (only) term journalists and the target audience react upon.
Thus we use Linux in order to spread the idea of free software whereas the SFD
(in our impression) completely fails in doing that the other way round.

> I think it would be good if we could be involved in this.  But if it
> happens twice a year and we have SFD as well that makes 3 events in
> addition to our regular meetings.  I'm not sure we can manage that well.

There is no need for participating in both events. In Italy there is a huge
Linux event in October so noone participates in the autumn LPD. Some of the
German hosting organizations have decided to have just one event per year. The
only big SFD event in Germany simply integrates the LPD although the date does
not really fit. They have just added one day. In general the LPD is just
opportunity, not obligation.

And there may be other organizations in your area which are not interested in
the SFD but might participate in the autumn LPD. We expect that one location
per (large) city will not be enough as soon as the (nationwide) media start
really covering the LPD. In Germany we have as hosting organizations: Linux
user groups, other non-commercial associations (mainly hackerspaces), adult
education centres, companies, universities, and schools.

And: After getting used to it (i.e. the second or third event) organizing the
LPD can be *extremely* simple. We have spent about *one hour* each for
preparing the last two BeLUG LPD events.

We just learnt the rather surprising fact that it is not more expensive to
send stuff to Australia from here than sending it to France... Thus we would
send you some posters, stickers, and the like free of charge.

CU

Hauke
--
http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/

International phone contact for the Linux Presentation Day:
     tel:+49-30-55579620 (13:00–23:00, German and English)

XMPP (Chat with OTR): linux-presentation-day at jabber.ccc.de
   OTR: 91626899 1C06F2BD 75EC2441 35C696CE 38F75997