SPF and DKIM checks on mail to the list

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Dec 23 00:25:31 AEDT 2015

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:20:54 PM Chris Samuel via luv-main wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 03:50:54 PM Russell Coker via luv-main wrote:
> > The list server is configured to reject mail that fails DKIM or SPF
> > checks.  It  is not supposed to receive mail from other list servers or
> > forwarding services so there's no reason for mail to fail such checks.
> >
> > If you have a problem with mail from your ISP going to the list then
> > contact  me off-list and I'll help you file a bug report.
> >
> > If you have a problem with your own personal domain then I am happy to
> > send  you log entries related to your issue and help you debug it.
> >
> > Don't claim that there's something wrong with the LUV server though.
>
> I'm not, RFC-2822 "Internet Message Format" is (IMHO):
>
> # [...]   The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
> # that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
> # for the writing of the message.  The "Sender:" field specifies the
> # mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the
> # message.
>
> It appears to me that what should go in the Sender: field is instead ending
> up in the From: field and that seems to be in clear breach of the RFC.

Chris, my entire point here is to not mix up the issues of DKIM/SPF checks on
receipt and the issue of how the From: field is used.

No mail has been rejected due to changes to the From: field.

Some mail has been rejected because it doesn't pass DKIM/SPF checks.  When
someone's mail is rejected due to DKIM/SPF failures then I'm happy to help
diagnose that problem.  But it's not related to mailing list changes.