zfs snapshot tools

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 10:52:34 AEDT 2015

Craig Sanders via luv-main
<luv-main at luv.asn.au> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 11:25:29AM +1100, Trent W. Buck via luv-main wrote:
>> One thing rsnapshot does reasonably well is faking multiple tape
>> rotations within the snapshot set.  e.g. you say "1 yearly, 2 monthlies,
>> and 7 dailies", and it works out which snapshots to expire.
>> I don't know how to do that in btrfs/zfs land.
>
> personally, i rolled my own simple snapshot rotation script for zfs,

Yeah, my implied caveat above was "without each sysadmin having to write
the wheel from scratch", since it's a flipping obvious task.

I've sat down to write a generic function for this[0] in the past,
but gotten distracted before getting something coherent.

[0] as in, you feed it a list of dates and a rotation policy,
    and it spits out the list of dates to delete.

> but One Of These Days i'll probably switch to either zfsnap [...]
> BTW, see also simplesnap: [...]

Cool, I see Goerzen is still trucking in that space :-)