[luv-announce] LUV Main October 2015 Meeting: Networking Fundamentals / High Performance Open Source Storage

Andrew Pam andrew at sericyb.com.au
Wed Sep 23 20:10:38 AEST 2015

http://luv.asn.au/2015/10/06

Start: Oct 6 2015 18:30
End: Oct 6 2015 20:30
Location: 6th Floor, 200 Victoria St. Carlton VIC 3053
Link: http://luv.asn.au/meetings/map

Speakers:

• Fraser McGlinn, Networking Fundamentals, Troubleshooting and Packet
Analysis
• Sam McLeod, High Performance, Open Source Storage

Fraser McGlinn, Networking Fundamentals, Troubleshooting and Packet Analysis

Let's be honest, the concept of networking seems like it is pretty
simple and most of the time it "just works". But what is actually
happening under the hood? How can we troubleshoot and identify the
problem when things go wrong without feeling like we are working on some
alien lifeform?

This talk will focus on the basics of networking, the absolute
fundamentals to any sort of connectivity. It will get deep into packet
analysis using tools such as tcpdump and wireshark, help understand the
underlying protocols and use this as a tool to troubleshoot some real
life networking issues.

Fraser McGlinn is a Network Engineer who has been working in the ISP
industry for just shy of five years. Day to day, his role has varied
from running a core MPLS network and provisioning new services to
building and maintaining services such as Radius, DNS and NMS
Monitoring. Fraser has been a Linux fan since a young age, and built his
first Linux PC in 2007 running on old parts that he scraped together
from the junk pile at the local computer recycler. It ran for a few
years hosting web servers etc from under his bed.

Sam McLeod, High Performance, Open Source Storage

Sam McLeod has designed and implemented a purely solid-state, high
performance modular storage system - that is completely configured and
provisioned in code.

Ops lead at InfoXchange and active DevOps community member, originally
from Christchurch, New Zealand and now a Melbournite for four years Sam
is driven by the idea of improving both the technology sector and the
product delivery journey or as Larry Wall said "Easy things should be
easy, and hard things should be possible". You can find him ranting on
twitter under the user @s_mcleod or on his neglected blog:
https://smcleod.net. He has also recently started an online DevOps
community: https://zendevops.com.

200 Victoria St. Carlton VIC 3053 (formerly the EPA building)

Before and/or after each meeting those who are interested are welcome to
join other members for dinner. We are open to suggestions for a good
place to eat near our venue. Maria's on Peel Street in North Melbourne
is currently the most popular place to eat after meetings.

LUV would like to acknowledge Red Hat for their help in obtaining the
venue and VPAC for hosting.

Linux Users of Victoria Inc. is an incorporated association,
registration number A0040056C.