[luv-announce] LUV Main November 2014 Meeting: Raspberry Pi update + systemd

Andrew Pam andrew at sericyb.com.au
Thu Oct 30 11:42:59 EST 2014

LUV Main November 2014 Meeting: Raspberry Pi update + systemd

Start: Nov 5 2014 19:00
End: Nov 5 2014 21:00

Event Link: http://luv.asn.au/2014/11/05

Location: The Buzzard Lecture Theatre. Evan Burge Building, Trinity
College, Melbourne University Main Campus, Parkville.

Location Link: http://luv.asn.au/meetings/map

Please note that the November meeting is on Wednesday night rather than
Tuesday night due to the Melbourne Cup.

Speakers:

* Alec Clews, Raspberry Pi update
* Russell Coker, systemd

Alec Clews, Update on Raspberry Pi

Alec will be talking about the latest news from the Raspberry Pi world:

    The new Model B+ and A+*
    New Pi hardware add-ons from local Melbourne developers
    Native working cloud storage for the Pi. Ya!
    News from the Foundation
    Cool projects you may not have seen
    Pi set-up scripts

(*The A+ is not released yet and anything I say will be based on
reasonable conjecture only)

Alec helped to break the Raspberry Pi order site when the product was
released and founded Melbourne Raspberry Jam. He can be found online as
alecthegeek in to many places. He drinks too much espresso, uses Linux
as much as possible and wishes he was a better Go programmer. He also
very proud of his Pi set-up scripts for IoT developers.

Russell Coker, systemd

What is involved with running systemd? What changes for a user? What
changes for a system programmer? What are the benefits and problems?
This talk will provide a high level overview of the changes.

Russell Coker has been working on SE Linux since 2001. He writes most of
the policy for Debian. He has done lots of other Linux development over
the years, mostly involved with Debian development.

The Buzzard Lecture Theatre, Evan Burge Building, Trinity College Main
Campus Parkville Melways Map: 2B C5

Notes: Trinity College's Main Campus is located off Royal Parade. The
Evan Burge Building is located near the Tennis Courts. See our Map of
Trinity College. Additional maps of Trinity and the surrounding area
(including its relation to the city) can be found at
http://www.trinity.unimelb.edu.au/about/location/map

Parking can be found along or near Royal Parade, Grattan Street,
Swanston Street and College Crescent. Parking within Trinity College is
unfortunately only available to staff.

For those coming via Public Transport, the number 19 tram (North Coburg
- City) passes by the main entrance of Trinity College (Get off at
Morrah St, Stop 12). This tram departs from the Elizabeth Street tram
terminus (Flinders Street end) and goes past Melbourne Central
Timetables can be found on-line at:

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/route/view/725

Before and/or after each meeting those who are interested are welcome to
join other members for dinner. We are open to suggestions for a good
place to eat near our venue. Maria's on Peel Street in North Melbourne
is currently the most popular place to eat after meetings.

LUV would like to acknowledge Red Hat for their help in obtaining the
Buzzard Lecture Theatre venue and VPAC for hosting, and BENK Open
Systems for their financial support of the Beginners Workshops

Linux Users of Victoria Inc., is an incorporated association,
registration number A0040056C.