[luv-announce] LUV Main August 2013 Meeting TOMORROW NIGHT

Lev Lafayette lev at levlafayette.com
Mon Aug 5 09:14:43 EST 2013

LUV Main August 2013 Meeting

Start: Aug 6 2013 19:00
End: Aug 6 2013 21:00
Location:
The Buzzard Lecture Theatre. Evan Burge Building, Trinity College,
Melbourne University Main Campus, Parkville.

Link:
http://luv.asn.au/meetings/map

Bernie Meade, 3D Printing

3D printing has been around since the early 80s, but has only recently
entered the mainstream. In a few short years, 3D printing, also known as
additive manufacturing, has started to influence a wide variety of
research activities. Traditional areas such as Engineering and
Architecture have greatly benefited from the new range of inexpensive yet
highly capable machines, while areas such as Medicine and the Arts have
just begun to recognize the potential impact. This is a truly disruptive
technology that not only promises amazing things, it is already starting
to deliver. This talk will be about how 3D printing is being used at the
University of Melbourne, how it is changing research and teaching, and how
it will change our lives in the next few years."

Bernard Meade works at the University of Melbourne with the ITS Research
team. In his role as Innovation and Outreach officer, he investigates
emerging technologies and promotes them to the research community. He runs
the Digital Fabrication service along with the University Digitisation
Centre, which now offers several 3d printers and scanners to the
University community.

Jacinta Richardson, Solving Interesting Problems by Writing Parsers

Your client gives you a document covering the specification of some weird
message format they want you to handle. It’s tab delimited, and pure
ASCII, but actually some fields are multi-part and include tabs, and
nothing is quoted. Oh, and actually there’s multiple different kinds of
messages you will need to parse. Using Perl 5.10+ and named capture groups
we’ll create a data definition. Over the rest of the talk we’ll be taking
advantage of a host of tactics (including re-parsing a regular expression)
to see how we can take an interesting problem and make it fun again.

Training Coordinator at Perl Training Australia and Information Technology
and Services Consultant. Both a programmer and a teacher, Jacinta loves
programming in Perl and enjoy helping other people learn or improve these
skills. Specialities include Perl (of course); course preparation, design
and training; PHP; C; C++; databases; project development; client
liaision; client support; management; technical writing;

The Buzzard Lecture Theatre, Evan Burge Building, Trinity College Main
Campus Parkville Melways Map: 2B C5

Notes: Trinity College's Main Campus is located off Royal Parade. The Evan
Burge Building is located near the Tennis Courts. See our Map of Trinity
College. Additional maps of Trinity and the surrounding area (including
its relation to the city) can be found at
http://www.trinity.unimelb.edu.au/about/location/map

Parking can be found along or near Royal Parade, Grattan Street, Swanston
Street and College Crescent. Parking within Trinity College is
unfortunately only available to staff.

For those coming via Public Transport, the number 19 tram (North Coburg -
City) passes by the main entrance of Trinity College (Get off at Morrah
St, Stop 12). This tram departs from the Elizabeth Street tram terminus
(Flinders Street end) and goes past Melbourne Central Timetables can be
found on-line at:

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/route/view/725

Before and/or after each meeting those who are interested are welcome to
join other members for dinner. We are open to suggestions for a good place
to eat near our venue. Maria's on Peel Street in North Melbourne is
currently the most popular place to eat after meetings.

LUV would like to acknowledge Red Hat for their help in obtaining the
Buzzard Lecture Theatre venue and VPAC for hosting, and BENK Open Systems
for their financial support of the Beginners Workshops

Linux Users of Victoria Inc., is an incorporated association, registration
number A0040056C.

--
Lev Lafayette, BA (Hons), GCertPM, MBA
mobile:  0432 255 208