[luv-announce] LUV November Meeting - Wed 2nd - Security double feature

Jiri Baum jiri at baum.com.au
Thu Oct 20 21:34:42 EST 2011

Wednesday 2 November 6:30pm for 7pm start at The Buzzard Lecture Theatre. Evan
Burge Building, Trinity College, Melbourne University Main Campus, Parkville.

*** Note that this is Wednesday, not Tuesday, due to the Cup. ***

Talks — security double feature:
* Drop it Like it's Hot — Andrew Griffiths
* Multi-Level Security — Russell Coker

* Library of LUV
* After the meeting, come have dinner with us at Maria's Trattoria!
122-124 Peel St

Also in this announcement:
* Beginner's Workshop — 19 November 2011
* #luv IRC channel
* mailing list policy
* Map of the meeting location
http://luv.asn.au/content/venue-maps

http://luv.asn.au/2011/11/02

** Drop it Like it's Hot — Andrew Griffiths **

A discussion of assorted things about privilege dropping on Linux systems,
where things can/have gone wrong and how to identify programs that have failed
to sufficiently drop their privileges. Additionally, I will cover per-thread
uid/gid/capabilities and the pitfalls of that approach.

Andrew is interested in computer security. He has previously presented at
Ruxcon, Recon, SysScan  and Securecon on a variety of topics. Additionally, he
has an article for Codebreakers Journal and contributed a couple of articles
to Phrack Magazine. He has a namespace collision with a children's book author
and random business book authors who live in Australia.

** Multi-Level Security — Russell Coker **

An overview of the technology of Multi-Level Security (MLS) in general terms
as well as specific details of the implementation in SE Linux.  Additionally,
I will describe the status of the MLS work in Debian and probably offer access
to a live demonstration system — depending on how well my work goes over the
next few weeks.  ;)

Russell does general Linux programming and systems administration. He is most
well known for his work on NSA Security Enhanced Linux. Other projects he has
been involved in include Bonnie++ (lead developer), Postal (lead developer),
Debian (developer), Linux Security Modules (LSM) (contributor), KDE
(contributor), OpenSSH (contributor).

** Library of LUV **

Library of LUV is a collection of books available for loan to members. The
collection is managed through the wiki and the books are circulated at the
monthly LUV meetings (and the Penguin Picnic, in January). For more details,
please see the wiki: http://wiki.luv.asn.au/LoL

** Dinner **

Before and/or after each meeting those who are interested are welcome to join
other members for dinner. We are open to suggestions for a good place to eat
near our venue. Maria's on Peel Street in North Melbourne is currently the
most popular place to eat after meetings.

** Beginner's Workshop — 19th November **

The November Beginner's Workshop will be held on the third Saturday at The
Hub, with the usual unstructured workshop area and a talk by Alex Garber
giving an introduction to editing video with OpenShot. Bring your laptop! For
more info, updates and discussion about the Beginner's Workshop, subscribe to
the luv-beginners mailing list:
http://lists.luv.asn.au/luv-beginners

The Melbourne OLPC Club meetings are co-located with the Beginner's Workshops.
If you are interested in the OLPC project, please come and join in!

Drupal Melbourne meetings are also co-located with the Beginner's Workshops,
taking place in the Long Room at The Hub.

** #luv IRC channel **

A reminder that LUV has an IRC channel - join #luv on FreeNode to chat with
fellow LUVvers in real time!

** Mailing list policy **

The committee does not generally monitor or moderate the LUV mailing lists and
expects members to conduct themselves appropriately. On complaint, however,
we may investigate, and if behaviour is unbecoming a member of LUV, we may
remove that member from the mailing list for a period of time as deemed
appropriate by the committee.

** Map of the meeting venue **

Our website now has an all-new map of the meeting venue, more clearly showing
how to find the Buzzard Lecture Theatre. Just follow either of the red lines!
http://luv.asn.au/content/venue-maps

** RedHat training discount **

A discount on RedHat training is available to LUV members. To obtain this
discount, you need to enter: "Linux User Group member - 10% discount" in the
special offer section of the enrolment form.
http://www.redhat.com.au/training/

** Acknowledgements **

LUV would like to acknowledge Red Hat for their help in obtaining the Buzzard
Lecture Theatre venue, BENK Open Systems for sponsoring the Beginner's
Workshops and VPAC for hosting!

http://redhat.com.au
http://benk.net.au
http://vpac.org