[luv-main] New Laptop

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Sep 24 13:18:44 EST 2011

On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, stripes theotoky <stripes.theotoky at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at this as a replacement laptop.
>
> http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6106&review=lenovo+thinkpa
> d+w520
>
> Does anyone have any experience of running Linux on it?
> Is there support for VT-x in the bios.
> I am hoping to configure it as Linux with Windows 7 64 running in Virtual
> Box.

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2011/09/09/modern-laptops-suck/

Thinkpads are generally good for what they are, but modern laptops suck
because they seem to be designed to compete with desktop systems - and the
Thinkpad W series seems to be one of the worst in this regard.

Modern laptops can't run on your lap because they either have passive cooling
in the base through a metal shell (like Macs) or cooling vents (like
Thinkpads).  They also can't run at high speed when closed (so you can't close
the lid after starting a big compile) because the keyboard is used as part of
the system cooling.

The one you are looking at has an NVidia graphics controller which means it
will either be slow or have a binary-only kernel module.  I expect that KVM
will work as it works on my Thinkpad T61 and I haven't heard reports of
regressions in such things.  I haven't tried running Windows under KVM though.