[luv-main] New Laptop

hannah commodore hannah at tinfoilhat.net
Sat Sep 24 14:15:59 EST 2011

On 24/09/2011, at 13:23, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, stripes theotoky <stripes.theotoky at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking at this as a replacement laptop.
>>
>> http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6106&review=lenovo+thinkpa
>> d+w520
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience of running Linux on it?
>> Is there support for VT-x in the bios.
>> I am hoping to configure it as Linux with Windows 7 64 running in Virtual
>> Box.
>
> http://etbe.coker.com.au/2011/09/09/modern-laptops-suck/
>
> Thinkpads are generally good for what they are, but modern laptops suck
> because they seem to be designed to compete with desktop systems - and the
> Thinkpad W series seems to be one of the worst in this regard.
>
> Modern laptops can't run on your lap because they either have passive cooling
> in the base through a metal shell (like Macs) or cooling vents (like
> Thinkpads).  They also can't run at high speed when closed (so you can't close
> the lid after starting a big compile) because the keyboard is used as part of
> the system cooling.

I think you're trying to make them compete with desktops.

Wouldn't you rather run that compile somewhere other than on your lap, running the machine at 100% with poor ventilation and burning you? Maybe it's nice to keep warm in winter though

I got annoyed with my laptop not performing extremely well, so went out and upgraded to 4GB of RAM and a 7200rpm drive, replacing the 5400rpm. Sometimes I wish I hadn't, since it now vibrates too much, is louder, and the battery life is poorer