[luv-geelong] BarCampGeelong | face to face meet | open source wrap

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Sun Feb 19 21:02:33 EST 2012

Hi everyone!
Hope your start to 2012 hasn't been too hectic,

Just a few quick things;

--------------

BARCAMP GEELONG 2012

I'm starting to get some enquiries around running BarCampGeelong
(http://barcampgeelong.org) again this year.
What does everyone think? Is there enough interest to run another one?
Are there any other major technical events on that would clash?

With hiring Deakin facilities, we're generally limited to out of
semester times, so the following dates are our options at the moment;
16th June
23rd June
30th June
7th July

-------------

FACE TO FACE MEET

Would we like to meet as a group face to face?
If so, I'm happy to arrange venue (at Deakin Uni's Waterfront Campus),
probably after hours during the week.
What would be the best day / time for people? Is there enough interest
to meet face to face?
Would someone like to present on something open-source (ish)?

-------------

OPEN SOURCE AND GEELONG TECHNOLOGY WRAP

Next Linux Users' Victoria meeting: Tuesday March 6th, Evan Burge
Building, Melbourne University
http://luv.asn.au/2012/03/06

Next Geelong Web Tech and Social Media group: Wednesday 22nd February,
The Edge, Geelong
http://www.meetup.com/The-Geelong-Web-Tech-and-Social-Media-MeetUp/

Some open source tools you may not have heard about:

- Bootstrap, from Twitter, a rapid web development framework -
http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/
- Canvas, from Instructure, is an open source Learning Management System
set to rival Moodle - http://www.instructure.com/technology
- Salt is a remote execution and configuration manager, similar to
Puppet - http://saltstack.org/

And in open source news

- HP have decided to open source WebOS -
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2012/120125a.html?mtxs=rss-corp-news&aoid=35252
- Canonical is pulling funding for development of Kubuntu - another
death knell for KDE -
http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/247708/canonical-aligns-kubuntu-community-flavor
- And the UEFI secure boot issue continues to heat up -
http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/01/14/0236244/microsoft-taking-aggressive-steps-against-linux-on-arm
- NASA goes open source: Responses to their RFI are due March 6th -
http://open.nasa.gov/blog/2012/02/18/help-us-open-source-nasa-gov/

This brochure from the G21 Lobby Group 'Connect Geelong' is also worth a
read - it's basically a brochure which helps to lobby the federal
government into rolling out the NBN in Geelong as a matter priority -
http://ictgeelong.com.au/content.php?pid=25&Level=1